Can Detox do Wonders?
Detox is very popular. Especially before the bikini season. The question is: Does it work and how does our body respond to it?
Let me guess, you have been drinking, eating fast-food and sweets ever since the end of last summer and now that the beach season approaches, you are in complete despair. How to get rid off 5-10 kilos in two months?? Diet and exercise, we all know the answer right. But then there is one last party, one last beer and one last hamburger until all of a sudden the question is: How to get rid off 5-10 kilos in one month?? Meanwhile our state of mind has moved to red alert. We are picturing ourselves in the unmerciful light of the midday sun, the flab oozing out of our swimsuits. And it doesn’t help to think that most of the other people look like us and not like the supermodels that we admire in advertising. We want to be like them rather than like our neighbor. And for sure this year, everything will be different!
It’s one of those mornings that we flip through some health magazine or newspaper and taraaaaaaaa, there it is, the magic word, the five letters that will do all the magic: D E T O X. And you know the best thing about it? We have an other two or three easy weeks until we need to start the program. Because with Detox we will lose all that excess weight in 7 days. We will remove all the toxins from our bodies, increase our energy levels, strengthen our immune system, get clearer skin and shinier hair and transform in a new, healthy person in just one week. So all we need to do is to subscribe to some club, buy a case of fruit juice bottles, eat soup all day long and pop some pills that are all natural of course.
Do you recognize yourself? Then let me confide to you what your subconscious has been trying to tell you for quite a while now: it’s absolutely impossible to lose 5-10 kilos in one week. You can lose one to two pounds in this time. If you lose more, you will most likely gain them back when you go off the extreme diet. Are you still thinking about Detox? Fair enough, but let me inform you about some facts:
- The human body doesn’t need pills or hunger strikes to detoxify, your organs and immune system handle those duties
- You will feel hungry and weak which will have a negative impact on your performance
- Low-calorie diets may lead to low blood sugar, muscle aches, fatigue, dizziness and nausea
- Because of energy loss and a slowed down metabolism, you will burn less calories
- Most Detox diets want you to eat the same fruits and vegetables over and over which leads to deficiency symptoms
- Detox programs are short diets, you can not stick with them in the long run
I am not saying that I am against detoxifying your body. On the contrary, I think that this is a great idea! But don’t do it for 7 days, follow my Detox diet which will get you ready not only for summer but for the rest of your life!
- Have a green or red Detox juice before your breakfast. It’s a vitamin booster and it will put you in the mood for a healthy day
- Eat lots of vegetables
- Prefer whole grains over simple carbs
- Choose lean protein like organic chicken and lentils
- Avoid processed foods
- Don’t use any supplements other than the ones prescribed by your doctor
- Stop drinking alcohol or limit it to special occasions
- Give up smoking
- EXERCISE! Swim, run in the forest, bike or work out at the gym – it all doesn’t matter as long as you move and have fun
You can be sure that my diet is cheaper and easier to sustain than most of the Detox programs out there. See you at the beach!
GREEN DETOX SMOOTHIE
2 little cucumbers, 1 green apple, 2 limes (i peeled and blended the whole fruits), fresh peppermint, ice cubes, 3 dl water
Wash cucumbers and apple well and don’t peel them since the skin contains lots of vitamins too. Put all the ingredients into a mixer and blend until you got your green smoothie.
RED DETOX SMOOTHIE
1 red apple, 1 handful of strawberries, 1 orange (use just the juice), 1 celery stick, ice cubes, 2 dl water
Put all the ingredients into a mixer and blend until you got your red smoothie.